This is our official list of the best ashwagandha products on the market today. Scroll further down or click “More Info” for full details on each product.
|#1||Organic India Ashwagandha||Lowest Price More Info|
|#2||Nature’s Way Ashwagandha||Lowest Price More Info|
|#3||Pure Encapsulations Ashwagandha||Lowest Price More Info|
|#4||NOW Foods Ashwagandha||Lowest Price More Info|
|#5||Solaray Ashwagandha||Lowest Price More Info|
|#6||Nutrigold Ashwagandha Gold||Lowest Price More Info|
|#7||Gaia Herbs Ashwagandha||Lowest Price More Info|
|#8||Ayush Herbs Ashwagandha||Lowest Price More Info|
|#9||Himalaya Herbal Ashwagandha||Lowest Price More Info|
|#10||Planetary Ayurvedics Full Spectrum Ashwagandha||Lowest Price More Info|
Most Effective Ashwagandha Products Reviewed
Organic India Ashwagandha is designed to support individual vitality and energy level while easing stress and calming the body and mind. The manufacturer recommended dosage is 2 capsules per day.
- Contains 800 mg of organic Ashwagandha root extract.
- USDA certified organic herbal supplement. It is non-GMO, certified Kosher and Halal. The capsules are certified vegan and vegetarian.
Nature’s Way Ashwagandha is designed to be used as a vitality enhancer and to help the body respond to stress in healthy ways. The manufacturer recommends taking 1 capsule two or three times daily with water or a meal.
- Contains 500 mg of standardized Ashwagandha extract with 4 percent (20 mg) Withanolides.
- Certified vegetarian and gluten free with no sugar added. It is also free of wheat, soy, yeast, salt and dairy.
- There are no artificial additives or preservatives but it does contain magnesium stearate.
Pure Encapsulations Ashwagandha is designed to support the immune system, cardiovascular system, cognitive function and the joints of the body as well as to decrease stress in body and mind. The manufacturer recommends taking 1 to 2 capsules per day either with or between meals (ashwagandha can cause minor stomach upset in some).
- Contains 500 mg of Ashwagandha root.
- Certified as hypoallergenic, non GMO, vegan and vegetarian.
NOW Foods Ashwagandha is designed to provide immune system support and functional improvement. It is also designed to attack free radicals and reduce the negative health impact of stress. The manufacturer recommends taking 1 capsule two or three times daily.
- Contains 450 mg of root extract with a minimum of 2.5 percent (11 mg) Withanolides.
- Certified as vegetarian and vegan, gluten free, Kosher, non-GMO, dairy free, wheat free, soy free and egg free.
Solaray Ashwagandha is designed to help ease the body’s stress response, reduce fatigue, support consistent energy levels, boost immune system function and calm the mind for sleep. The manufacturer recommends taking 1 capsule once or twice daily with water or with a meal.
- Contains 470 mg of Ashwagandha root extract and it also guarantees at least 1.5 percent (7 mg) of Withanolides.
- Guaranteed vegetarian and green screened.
Nutrigold Ashwagandha Gold is designed to support physical energy and immune system response. It is also designed to help the body weather times of temporary stress and enhance well-being.
- Contains 500 mg of ashwagandha root with guaranteed 5 percent Withanolides. The manufacturer recommends taking 1 capsule daily or as your doctor advises.
- Certified as non-GMO, organic, gluten free, Kosher, soy free, corn free and free from magnesium stearate, allergens, solvents, additives and pesticides.
Gaia Herbs Ashwagandha is designed to support the body’s immune system and moderate stress levels in mind and body. It is also beneficial for stabilizing mood and energy levels. The manufacturer recommends taking 1 capsule two times per day.
- Gaia Herbs Ashwagandha contains 250 mg of Ashwagandha root extract (or equivalent 2,700 mg of dry herb).
- Is certified as organic, vegetarian and harvested ecologically. Gaia company harvests its Ashwagandha on its own farm in Brevard, NC.
Ayush Herbs Ashwagandha is designed to support anti-aging and longevity, cognitive health, vitality and immune system function as well as joint and tissue support. The manufacturer recommends taking 1 capsule two times daily or as your doctor advises.
- Contains 500 mg of Ashwagandha extract and 25 mg of Withanolides.
- Is certified to be free from milk, wheat and soy. It is also certified as USDA organic.
Himalaya Herbal Ashwagandha is designed to help the body fight off the effects of stress, ease exhaustion, balance mood and provide immune system function support. It is also designed to support healthy thyroid function, balance hormone levels and raise energy. The manufacturer recommends taking 1 capsule daily before a meal or as your doctor advises.
- Contains 280 mg of standardized Ashwagandha root extract, 380 mg of organic Ashwagandha root powder and 10 mg of Withanolides.
- Certified USDA organic and gluten free as well as non-GMO. It is also free of magnesium stearate and synthetics and additives.
Planetary Ayurvedics Full Spectrum Ashwagandha is designed to ease stress in the body and mind. The manufacturer recommends taking 1 capsule two times daily with a meal.
- Contains 570 mg of Ashwagandha root and root extract and 59 mg of calcium.
- Gluten-free and free of egg, dairy, soy and nuts.
Ashwagandha Supplements Guide
What is Ashwagandha?
Ashwagandha is a medicinal plant with a long history of use as an “adaptogen” that helps the body deal with stress more productively, according to WebMD. Plants classified as “adaptogenic” typically contain a combination of certain amino acids, herbs and vitamins that can help the body cope with two types of stress: internal and external. An example of internal stress might be depression or anxiety. An example of external stress might be environmental toxins.
In the original Sanskrit, the word “ashwaganda” literally translates to mean “the strength of a horse.” Today, this is thought to infer that taking this supplement can restore strength to the body and immune system. In particular, thyroid issues, adrenal function, low energy, stress, fatigue and difficulty with concentration can all be helped by taking Ashwagandha. These benefits are what has earned Ashwagandha its nickname of “Indian Ginseng,” even though the two plants have no botanical relation to one another.
The Ashwagandha plant itself is a lovely short shrub with raisin-sized red-orange fruit. Botanically, it is part of the tomato, pepper and nightshade plant family. Ashwagandha is harvested in India, Africa, the Middle East and the United States.
One of the most important properties of Ashwagandha is that it can help your body balance itself in the face of chronic stress. Chronic stress can systematically unbalance every system in your body, starting with your adrenal glands and hormone production. Numerous research studies support the use of Ashwagandha for this purpose.
Things to Look for in a Good Ashwagandha Supplement
When you are shopping for an Ashwagandha supplement, make sure the supplement you choose is free from additives, fillers, preservatives, stability aids and harsh extraction processes. If the supplement is organic, that is even better. Most importantly, look for the Withanolides concentration, since Withanolides are the active ingredient that give the Ashwagandha plant its healing and stress relieving benefits.
How to Take Ashwagandha
Ashwagandha berries and roots can be used to create a supplement form. Supplements come in powder, liquid tincture and tablet/capsule form. The generally preferred form is a root extract, especially in Ayurvedic medicine. You should take Ashwagandha supplements with meals at first (to ensure no upset stomach) and take it in the morning if you take it only once per day.
If you are pregnant or planning to start a family, you should not take ashwagandha. If you have diabetes or thyroid dysfunction, or you are currently taking blood pressure medication or medicine for diabetes, talk to your doctor before taking ashwagandha. Also, if you have surgery scheduled, you should stop taking ashwagandha 14 days prior to your scheduled appointment.