This is our official list of the best green supplements on the market today. Scroll further down or click “More Info” for full details on each product. You can also jump to our Official Green Supplements Guide
|#1||Controlled Labs Orange OxiMega Greens||
|#2||Amazing Grass Green SuperFood Powder||
|#3||Nova Forme CytoGREENS||
|#4||Magnum Nutraceuticals Performance Greens||
|#5||Vibrant Health Green Vibrance||
|#6||PHARMAFREAK Greens Freak||
|#7||Garden Of Life Perfect Food||
|#8||Inner Armour Healthy Greens||
|#10||Ultimate Nutrition Vegetable Greens||
Top 10 Greens Supplements Reviewed
Ultimate Nutrition Vegetable Greens is a powdered greens supplement formula that is a combination of over 62 phytonutrients. It contains probiotics and prebiotics, and does not use artificial flavors or sweeteners. It rates a highly on customer product reviews. This formula is a quality, nutrient dense greens supplement that is designed to boost your immune system, and your digestive system. It will energize and rejuvenate you for your active lifestyle!
- Contains spirulina, alfalfa, wheatgrass, chlorella and more
- 30 calories per serving
- A great choice for travelers and fitness enthusiasts looking to up their daily caloric intake and nutrients
- All natural
- Meat and dairy free; suitable for vegetarians
- Huge variety of ingredients
- Fully transparent list of ingredients, easy to understand
- Only 2 billion active CFU’s of probiotics
- Pricier than some alternatives
Who makes it: This product was created and produced by Ultimate Nutrition. Ultimate nutrition was founded in 1987 by a top amateur power lifter named Victor Rubino. Their supplements are geared towards improving athletic performance. The company is still family-owned and operated with the vision of creating “high quality, highly researched products at affordable prices.”
What’s in it:
- Essential Fatty Acids blend, consisting of lecithin, flaxseed oil, borage oil, and more.
- Green Food Concentrates blend, consisting of barley greens, alfalfa, wheatgrass, buckwheat, spinach and more.
- Sea Vegetables blend, consisting of spirulina, chlorella, dulse seaweed, kelp and green algae.
- Land Vegetables blend, consisting of brown rice, beet root, carrot, fermented soy, celery and olive leaf.
- Phytonutrients blend, consisting of acerola berries, blueberry fruit, quercetin, green tea extract, resveratrol, and more.
- Cruciferous Vegetables blend, consisting of broccoli extract, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, kale and watercress.
- Standardized Herbal Extracts blend, consisting of cranberry extract, astragalus extract, milk thistle, ginseng, ginkgo biloba and more.
- Fiber blend, consisting of apple pectin, oat bran and inulin.
- Digestive support blend, consisting of fructooligosaccharides, and probiotic blend
Bottom line: This is a great greens supplement that is well rounded and touches almost all the bases of a quality greens supplement. It is excellent for boosting the immune system, rejuvenating after a workout, and digestive health.
NOW Chlorophyll is a strong greens supplement that comes in the form of a capsule. You swallow this one like a multivitamin. This is an effective greens supplement because it provides your body with a good dose of chlorophyll, which is a plant based product that provides numerous benefits. This simple little pill provides you with greens supplement benefits at a fraction of the cost of some of the competition.
- Natural deodorizer
- Free radical neutralizer
- Contains both chlorophyll and alfalfa
- Supports detoxification process
- Suitable for vegans and vegetarians
- Non GMO
- Gluten free
- Easy addition to daily routine
- Lightweight, great for traveling
- Extremely affordable
- All natural
- Less ingredient diversity
- Less nutrient diversity
- Does not contain prebiotics or probiotics
Who makes it: Known for its all natural products, NOW foods has been around since 1968 when it was founded by Elwood Richard. Their mission is to “to provide value in products and services that empower people to lead healthier lives.” It is based out of Bloomingdale, Illinois and produces and distributes natural foods and supplements.
What’s in it:
- 100 mg chlorophyll (as sodium copper chlorophyllin)
- 250 mg alfalfa powder
Bottom line: This supplement is a simple and easy addition to a person’s daily routine. It can be taken with your daily multivitamin to support blood circulation and health, detoxify the body, and support the immune system. It has a lot of benefits at a low cost, but does not have the diversity of a greens supplement powder.
Another awesome powdered greens superfood supplement. Inner Armour Healthy Greens is well rated in online reviews, and offers a lot of bang for your buck.
- 29 calories per serving
- Only 1 g sugar
- Lots of fiber, 545 grams!
- Contains a large amount of lecithin
- Lots of spirulina
- Includes probiotics
- All natural ingredients
- Affordable price
- Less variety than other greens supplements powders
- Only 1.0 billion CFU’s active probiotics
Who makes it:
Inner Armour makes credible and reliable supplements for athletes of all skill levels. Every product has been tested by athletes. Inner Armour products have the Informed Choice logo and are Banned Substance Free. The programs certify that all nutritional supplements have been tested for banned substances. Inner Armour has been in business for 16 years and is based out of Connecticut.
What’s in it:
- Greens blend, consisting of spirulina, soybean lecithin, apple fiber, barley grass, wheat grass, chlorella, green tea leaf, spinach, and much more.
- Much more, including probiotics, herbs, fiber and more.
Bottom line: This product packs in a lot of the best ingredients in concentrated amounts which allow you to extract the benefits of the ingredients; such as spirulina and lecithin. Overall, it provides a powerful variety of nutrients to assist your recovery, mental and physical rejuvenation, and immune system.
A powerful greens supplement made from entirely raw and organic sources, this supplement is a green juice powder with 34 nutrient dense, raw, organically grown sprouts, seeds, and vegetables. This product provides a convenient veggie juice that can be added to your daily diet to support your health and boost your immune system.
- Certified Organic
- Dairy free
- No fillers or added sugars
- No synthetic chemicals
- Provides naturally occurring enzymes, amino acids, essential fatty acids, phytonutrients and antioxidants
- All natural
- Produced by a trustworthy, environmentally responsible company
- Contains probiotics and prebiotics
- 110% daily value for vitamin K
- 40 % daily value for vitamin C
- 25 calories per serving
- Only 1.5 billion CFU’s
- Contains blends; not necessarily getting the full benefit of the listed ingredients
Who makes it: Garden of Life is a brand that is all about quality fresh organic ingredients. They ensure that their product is raw from the soil that’s used to grow their ingredients, to the finished product. Garden of Life is a certified vegan, certified organic, informed choice, non-GMO, Star-K Kosher, U Kosher, B Corp, NSF Gluten free, LEED gold, and Green-e energy. Being one of the most environmentally responsible supplement companies, they are genuinely concerned with providing quality and natural ingredients. Their website provides information about the farms that grow their produce, and make their produce traceable all the way to the roots in the soil.
What’s in it:
- Organic Farmed Juice Blend, consisting of barley grass juice, alfalfa grass juice, oat grass juice, wheat grass juice and more.
- Organic Fruit and Veggie Antioxidant Blend, consisting of (all organic) apple, beet, broccoli, carrot, spinach, pineapple, blackberry, bell pepper, garlic, ginger, kale, asparagus, and more.
- Organic Sprout blend, consisting of flax meal, amaranth sprout, quinoa sprout, buckwheat sprout, chia seed sprout, and more.
- Raw Probiotic and Enzyme blend, consisting of lipase, protease, bromelain, lactase, and more.
Bottom line: This product is produced by one of the most environmentally responsible companies with traceable sourcing and raw, organic ingredients. It provides a variety of ingredients as well as prebiotics and probiotics to help lubricate the digestive system. Its only drawback are that it provides smaller concentrations of such amazing ingredients, so you may not experience the full value of some of the ingredients.
One of the most complete greens supplement powders on the market. It combines nine high potency superfoods with 38 nutrient-dense ingredients to create a well rounded healthy supplement. This supplement has a high user review and has been known to be one of the tastier greens supplement options.
- The taste stands out as being creamier and less grassy than other products
- 35 calories per serving
- Contains probiotics
- 30 calories per serving
- 333% daily value of vitamin E
- 100% natural flavoring
- Contains “proprietary blend” of probiotics at only 150 mg
- Does not have a label that identifies how many active CFU’s of probiotics it contains; yet it claims to have probiotics
- Contains synthetic vitamin E (as DL-alpha-tocopherol acetate)
Who makes it: PharmaFreak makes some of the strongest athletic supplements out there, and is known for its Ripped Freak fat burner that made the company reputable. It was founded in 2008 by Alex Savva and Don Gauvreau, who both have 10+ years experience in the supplements industry. Gauvreau contributes to the research and formulation of the product, and Savva is a bodybuilder who knows what people in the athletic world are looking for. Together, they created PharmaFreak because there was a need for stronger products that they aimed to fill.
What’s in it:
- Greens blend, consisting of spirulina, chlorella, alfalfa, barley, wheat, apple pectin, apple fiber, sprouted super grains, superfoods complex, antioxidant complex, and more.
- Immune Support Complex, consisting of echinacea angustifolia, astragalus and royal jelly.
- Adaptogen & Adrenal Support Complex, consisting of licorice, suma and eleuthero.
- Proprietary Probiotic Culture Complex, consisting of lactobacillus acidophilus, bifido bifidum, and more.
- Proprietary Digestive Enzyme Complex, consisting of bromelain, papain, lipase and more.
- Liver Support Complex, consisting of milk thistle extract and bilberry extract.
Bottom line: This product is a high potency greens supplement that is excellent for athletes. The product is made by a reputable supplement company in the world of bodybuilding and athleticism. It is designed to improve athletic performance in a natural way. This greens supplement is also one of the more palatable supplements on the market, but it also contains synthetic vitamin E, so be careful on your dosage!
Top 5 Green Supplements
Vibrant Health Green Vibrance is a powerful digestive support greens supplement that will provide your body with potent micronutrients and aid your ability to absorb them. This formula contains 25 billion active CFU’s of probiotics, which is well over the threshold of 3-4 CFU’s for a quality digestive support.
- 25 billion active CFU’s probiotics
- Contains natural vitamin E vs synthetic vitamin E
- Has lots of fiber
- Great variety of ingredients
- Supports immune system, liver, and bones
- Does not contain tiny ineffective amounts of ingredients
- Fully transparent list of ingredients
- Sacrifices using larger amounts of the quality greens in order to have lots of probiotics
- Not a very balanced greens supplement, but a great probiotic
Who makes it: Vibrant Health’s mission is optimum health for all of its customers. They value transparency in their products, so they do not ever put misleading proprietary blends as ingredients in their supplements. They also acknowledge that dietary nutrition is a dynamic field, so they create current products that are up to date with the most recent scientific discoveries in the field.
What’s in it:
- Cereal Grasses blend, consisting of barley grass, oat grass, wheatgrass, and more.
- Plant based micro-Nutrition blend, consisting of chlorella, spirulina, beet root, zucchini, spinach, and more.
- Antioxidant Life Preservers blend, consisting of tomato, strawberry, acerola, amla, apricot, goji berry, gingko biloba, green tea and more.
- Immune Support blend, consisting of astragalus root, arabinogalactans extract and more.
- Adaptogens, including eleutherococcus senticosus root extract, holy basil extract, and suma root powder.
- Skeletal Support blend, consisting of cissus quadrangularis, lichen oil and boron.
- Fiber blend, consisting of fructo-oligosaccharides, flax seed powder, and more.
- Liver Support blend, consisting of carrot root, chicory root, dandelion root and more.
- Enzymes and Tonics, including ginger root and enzymes.
- Probiotics blend, consisting of lactobacillus, bifidobacterium, and more.
Bottom line: This is a great product that has a lot of awesome benefits from using a variety of ingredients, but sacrifices the greens supplement goal in place of the large amount of probiotics. This is a great product for digestive health, and the probiotics included do help to absorb the superfood nutrients.
A great greens supplement powder with a high user rating. This product is of pharmaceutical quality and can be trusted to give you potent superfood vitamins, minerals, and phytonutrients.
- 40 calories per serving
- Fully transparent list of ingredients, easy to understand
- Contains resveratrol
- Lots of fiber!
- Contains herbs
- Regulates stress
- Supports a good night sleep
- Hearty list of essential fatty acids
- Great variety and amount of greens
- Organic pharmaceutical grade ingredients
- Has a very distinct grassy flavor that may be aversive for some
Who makes it: Magnum Nutraceuticals is “dedicated to integrity in producing the highest quality sports nutrition supplements.” Their manufacturing facilities are reliable and controlled due to government auditing which guarantees that the ingredients they use are of pharmaceutical quality!
What’s in it:
- Greens Matrix, consisting of spirulina, barley grass, alfalfa, beet root, chlorella, wheat grass, spinach, and much more.
- Essential Fatty Acid Blend, consisting of lecithin, flaxseed oil, borage oil, coconut oil, and more.
- Phytonutrient Complex, consisting of goji berry, pomegranate, blueberry, licorice root, green tea extract, cranberry, and much more.
- Fiber blend, consisting of apple fiber, oat bran powder, and more.
- Herbal Remedies blend, consisting of royal jelly, cranberry, astragalus, panax ginseng, ginkgo biloba, cinnamon bark, and more.
Bottom line: This product is one of the best greens supplements with amazing quality ingredients and effective results. The only issue is that its health benefits don’t outweigh its taste problem. If you can find a good way to consume it, it’s one of the best green supplements out there.
A superior greens supplement that cleanses, restores, and detoxifies the body with extremely competitive pricing for the value. It is rich in chlorophyll with twice as much dark greens than most greens formulas currently on the market. One of the only supplements that includes its ORAC rating, or Oxygen Radical Absorbance Capacity, Cytogreens features 346 mg of high ORAC free-radical fighting antioxidants.
- Effective ingredient amounts
- Chlorophyll rich nutrients
- Contains more milk thistle than any other greens supplement, at 200 mg a serving, which cleanses and detoxifies the liver
- Contains spirulina at an ORAC value of 24,400 mg
- 22x the antioxidant strength of blueberries
- Has added protein
- An exception to the proprietary blend rule, because this blend is clinically researched for athletic recovery
- Contains prebiotics
Who makes it: Novaforme is an athletic supplement producer that puts a lot of time and effort into creating synergistic formulas with quality ingredients. They design their products for athletes who love clean eating and want to maximize their health.
What’s in it:
- Green Performance Matrix, consisting of spirulina, barley grass, spinach leaf, chlorella, matcha green tea, and more.
- Proprietary Blend, consisting of power mushroom complex, eleuthero root, ginseng root, tangerine peel extract, and more.
- Free-Radical Defense Blend, consisting of brazilian acai berry, amla berry, acerola cherry, citrus bioflavonoids, and more.
- Carbohydrate Digestive Enzymes, consisting of amylase, pectinase, and glucoamylase
- Digestive Enzymes, consisting of protease, peptidase, cellulase, and more.
- Much more!
Bottom line: Powerful antioxidant rich ingredients set this product apart, with hi-ORAC ratings that fight free radical damage. Anyone can benefit from this amazing product, but athletes in particular love this strong greens supplement because it helps them maximize their body’s potential.
Some of the best green powder, with lots of green power! This product is a super effective formula of greens supplement that alkalizes and detoxifies the body. This is the pinnacle of clean eating. This formula uses certified organic ingredients that are produced in “farms, not factories.”
- USDA organic
- Non- GMO
- Gluten free
- 30 calories per serving
- Tastes way better than alternatives
- All natural
- Wheat grass
- Barley grass
- No synthetic ingredients
Who makes it: Amazing Grass is a company dedicated to “helping people lead healthier, more active lives through organic, plant-based nutrition.” Brandon, one of the founders, loved greens and convinced the other founder Todd to switch from coffee in the morning to his greens drink. That started it all, and in 2002 they founded Amazing Grass.
What’s in it:
- Green Food Blend, consisting of organic wheat grass, organic barley grass, organic alfalfa, organic spinach and more.
- Antioxidant Blend, consisting of organic rose hips, carrot, cherry, green tea, acai, and more.
- Essential Fatty Acid Fiber Blend, consisting of organic flax seed powder and apple pectin powder
- Digestive enzyme/Probiotic Blend, consisting of fructooligosaccharides from Chicory Root, and probiotics (protease, amylase, and more)
Bottom line: An amazing product from a reputable company. The value of this product is far more than its dollar cost. This product will give you all the health benefits of a quality greens supplement, and give you more energy than a cup of coffee. Amazing Grass is the best organic greens supplement available.
The best greens supplement on the market. This product has the most value out of all the products on our list. It has way more probiotics than the 3-4 billion CFU threshold, no synthetic ingredients, and tons of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and phytonutrients. If you are looking to support your blood production, detox your liver, lubricate your digestive system, boost your energy levels and more, this is the product for you.
- Lowest calorie of the top tens, at only 15 calories per serving!
- 900 mg lecithin
- Has spirulina
- Has wheatgrass
- Has chlorella
- Has kale
- Has the most resveratrol of any others on the list!
- 16 billion active CFU’s of probiotics!
- Naturally flavored
- No synthetic ingredients
- The best tasting product
- When combined with orange TRIad, all general health needs are met: digestive, immune system, and cardiovascular support; fruit and vegetables; vitamins, minerals, and omegas
- High quality nordic fish oil for Omega 3 fatty acids
Who makes it: Founded in 2005, controlled labs was created with the goal of producing the “highest quality products at a price that customers could actually afford.” The company backs any health claims it makes with reputable research, and produces all of its products in a GMP certified for Sport Facility. They make sure that no banned substances are in any of the products or facilities, and they ensure that all of their products are top quality.
What’s in it:
- Greens blend, consisting of barley grass, wheat grass, wheat sprout, dulse, chlorella, spirulina, oats, apple fiber, and much more.
- Antioxidant complex, consisting of raspberry, pomegranate, cranberry, acai, green tea, and more.
- Cardiovascular Complex, consisting of beet root powder, carrot, spinach, cauliflower, broccoli, kale and parsley
- Enzyme blend, consisting of Bromelain, Papain, Protease, Amylase and more.
- Probiotic (dairy free) Blend, consisting of lactobacillus acidophilus, bifidobacterium longum, lactobacillus casei and lactobacillus rhamnosus.
Bottom line: This supplement will radically improve your diet and support your health in numerous ways with its quality and effective ingredients. It is made by a responsible, reputable company, and the value far exceeds the cost. It really is the best greens supplement out there!
In our busy modern lives, it’s a real struggle to maintain healthy eating habits. The majority of Americans today do not get adequate nutrients in their diets, and our health suffers as a direct result. Unless you have the time, money and resources to eat healthy, you may need help in getting your daily nutrient needs.
Luckily, there is a solution in the form of a supplement. Today, we’re here to talk about greens supplements, otherwise known as greens food supplements or greens powders. These nutrient-dense products can help you get your diet back on track in an easy, convenient way, while allowing you to go about your life as usual.
What Are Greens Supplements?
Greens supplements pack a concentration of superfood nutrients into a powder or pill form. They provide your body with an additional boost of antioxidants, vitamins, minerals and more. They also provide you with plant-based proteins and amino acids; the building blocks of protein. Top greens supplements are usually made of ingredients such barley, wheat, herbs, probiotics, spirulina, algae, and fruits and vegetables.
Effective greens supplements can be used to reduce dietary and muscular acidity. This is useful to someone who is exercising a lot, because when muscles are being contracted frequently they produce acid; in other words, they make you really sore. Greens supplements speed up the recovery process while helping to reduce muscle soreness.
Greens can also be used to supplement a diet that is low in fruits and vegetables. When traveling, people often do not have access to as many fresh fruits and vegetables. Greens food supplements are an effective way to ensure that you are consuming the necessary vitamins and minerals from fruits and veggies that your body craves.
The average person does not consume the necessary amounts of micronutrients that raw fruits and vegetables provide. To have a balanced diet, a person should consume more than 5 servings of raw fruits and vegetables every day. In reality, less than 6% of adult men and 9% of adult women are consuming more than 5 servings of fruits and vegetables a day. This means that greens supplements can be useful and sometimes necessary for a majority of people.
PrecisionNutrition does not recommend taking Greens if you are already consuming 10 servings of fruits and vegetables per day. Greens are not a replacement for raw fruits and vegetables, they are a supplementary aid. With that being said, the majority of people today don’t get nearly enough fruits and veggies in their diets, and therefore these supplements can be very helpful.
Common Ingredients Found in Greens Supplements
Greens supplements are derived from entirely natural sources. The nutrients they provide come from dehydrated fruits and vegetables, alfalfa, algae, spirulina, barley, etc. Here is a list of the most commonly used ingredients and some of the benefits that these amazing ingredients can provide you:
Spirulina – a blue-green algae that is loaded with protein. It is a significant source of iodine, vitamin K, potassium, thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, manganese, iron and copper. It is anti-inflammatory, improves muscle strength and endurance, preserves bone health, and improves memory and academic performance. It also contains powerful antioxidants.
Alfalfa – plant that is a rich source of vitamins, including vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin B1, vitamin B6, vitamin E, and vitamin K. It also contains minerals such as calcium, zinc, potassium, carotene, and iron. It can prevent strokes, cleanse the blood, liver, and bowels, lower cholesterol, and much more.
Wheat grass – grass which contains all minerals known to man. It also is a source of vitamin B-complex, vitamin K, vitamin C, vitamin A, and vitamin l. It is a significant source of protein and has 17 different amino acids. It is extremely rich in chlorophyll, which helps to build blood. Chlorophyll neutralizes toxins in the body and helps purify the liver.
Barley – a grain that is extremely high in insoluble fiber which is beneficial to intestinal function. Barley has been shown to be effective at lowering levels of bad cholesterol. Studies have confirmed that Barley can help prevent heart disease. It contains minerals such as manganese, selenium, copper, vitamin B1, chromium, phosphorus, manganese, and niacin.
Kale – a leafy green that is a rich source of iron. It is full of strong antioxidants that can help protect against various cancers, such as flavonoids and carotenoids. It can lower cholesterol levels, and detoxify the liver. It is a source of vitamin A and vitamin C, and it is a rich source of calcium.
Cholera – a freshwater algae that is really good at detoxifying the body. It supports brain, heart, and immune system health. It can help regulate blood sugar, and keep your liver healthy. It contains vitamin C, vitamin E, all of the vitamin B’s, amino acids and beta-carotene. It also contains minerals such as magnesium and iron. It is higher in protein density than meat.
Chlorophyll– a green pigment produced by plants that strengthen blood-producing organs, prevents anemia, and oxygenates the body. It has antimicrobial and anti-aging properties, and it helps with hormonal balance, blood clotting, detoxing, and digestive health.
Benefits of Greens Supplements
Greens can provide the same powerful boost of nutrients as found in superfoods. Superfoods are rich in compounds like antioxidants, fatty acids, and fiber. Some examples of super foods are kale, spinach, and broccoli. Therefore, powerful greens supplements can provide the same health benefits as a healthy dose of fruits and vegetables! This means they can enhance your immune system, reduce blood pressure and cholesterol levels, prevent heart disease and diabetes, and energize your body. Some greens supplement benefit include:
- Supports the immune system
- Helps reduce blood pressure
- Helps reduce cholesterol levels
- May help prevent heart disease
- Helps prevent diabetes
- Provides essential nutrients for your body
- Provides more energy for your day
- Improves digestion
- May reduce heartburn
- Speeds post-workout recovery
- Improves overall health
Greens supplements usually include ingredients such as algae, prebiotics, and probiotics as well. The algae they contain are extremely nutrient dense, and safe to consume in their dehydrated form.
Greens supplements also have an alkalizing effect on the body, meaning that they reduce acidity levels. When your body’s pH is out of balance, symptoms include headaches, fatigue, stiff joints, inflammation, gum disease, joint pain, muscle pain, and more. Greens supplements can reduce or eliminate these symptoms of pH imbalance.
The alkalizing effect of greens supplements can help treat these symptoms, and speed up the recovery process after a workout by alleviating muscle soreness. Good greens supplements also function as a natural antacid that can reduce heartburn and acid reflux. The alkalizing effect of the best greens supplements helps to optimize your internal pH balance, which is the basis of many holistic health practices.
Who Can Benefit?
You – Did you know that 87% of Americans do not eat enough fruits, and 91% are not eating a sufficient amount of vegetables? Odds are, you are one of the people who are not consuming the amount of fruits and vegetables the body needs. Overall, just about anyone who wants to be happy and healthy can benefit from greens supplements.
People who have an imbalance in pH – The alkalizing effect of greens supplements works quickly to reduce acidity in the body. This helps to improve the overall function of the body and alleviate the symptoms, such as fatigue and headache, that an imbalanced pH causes.
Those who suffer from health problems that affect the body’s ability to absorb nutrients – This includes those who suffer from things like chronic diarrhea, food intolerance, allergies, and liver or gallbladder disease. Because greens supplements are in a highly concentrated form, the nutrients they provide are more easily absorbed by the body. More than a pound of greens can be used to make an ounce of powder.
Travelers – Travelers who do not have access to fresh fruits and vegetables can supplement their diets with greens! They are portable and non perishable, so taking greens supplements on a trip is an easy way to ensure that you do not sacrifice a balanced diet.
People taking protein supplements – If you are currently taking protein supplements, greens can also be a beneficial addition to your supplement regimen. Protein powders can increase acidity within the body, which we have already established is the root of a myriad of health issues. People who are taking protein supplements can benefit from powerful greens supplements, which can counteract the acidity produced within the body by protein powders.
Fitness enthusiasts and athletes – Sore muscles are literally a pain. Taking greens supplements three hours after a workout helps speed up the recovery process and reduce muscle soreness. The boost of micronutrients help refuel and revitalize your muscles. In order to redeem the rejuvenating effect, take greens supplements at least three hours after a workout.
Vegetarians – Greens supplements are an excellent addition to a vegetarians diet because they offer tons of plant based proteins. Most greens supplements are meat and dairy free.
Are There Any Side-Effects?
Some studies have shown that greens supplements can slow the release of insulin to your muscles if taken right after a workout; which depresses cell recovery. Experts recommend that you wait three hours after exercise before taking a greens supplement to avoid insulin depression.
The best greens supplements do not have negative side effects when used appropriately. Greens are entirely natural. Remember that greens do have a concentrated amount of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants; so try not to take more than the recommended daily serving. Iron and calcium can cause toxicity problems when consumed in excess, so be aware of the iron and calcium content of your supplement. Recommended iron intake is between 15-18 mg daily, and recommended calcium intake is 1000 mg per day.
Some supplements may contain synthetic ingredients. Synthetic supplements can contain man-made chemical compounds that do not occur in nature; meaning that our bodies were never meant to consume them. Synthetic fat-soluble vitamins can build up in the fatty tissues of the body and become toxic. Did you know that the synthetic form of vitamin E can disrupt the endocrine system, and potentially increase your chances of getting cancer? You can identify synthetic vitamin E on a label if it as “dl” in the name, such as dl-alpha-tocopherol. With good greens supplements, you can rest assured that all of the nutrients they provide are natural and beneficial to your health.
Taking too much of any supplement can be harmful. Make sure to follow the supplements guidelines as to how much can be consumed per day. Always talk to a doctor if you think you need a larger dose of a supplement per day to make sure that it is safe.
How to Take Greens Supplements
Some greens supplements come in a capsule that is swallowed whole like a multivitamin or pill. Most commonly, greens supplements are found in a powder form. Though they may come in a pill form, remember that they are not a replacement for a multivitamin.
Most greens supplements will have a suggested serving amount that you mix with water. When the green powder is dissolved, it becomes like juice. Greens food supplements can be low to zero calories; so drinking your greens from greens supplements is an easy way to add nutrients to your day without adding calories.
The top greens supplements in powder form are often a dark green color and have a strong taste that not everyone initially enjoys. For strong greens supplements such as those, it is recommended to mix it into yogurt, blend it into a smoothie, or mix it with juice rather than water. Using coconut water can help to make the greens taste better, and using ice makes it a lot more refreshing. Some other tasty options include:
- Mix it with club soda or seltzer water
- Sprinkle it onto fresh fruit or salad
- Mix with lemon juice, stevia, and honey
- Mix with teas
Click here for a list of delicious greens supplements recipes.
What to Look for in a Good Greens Supplement
The first step when choosing the best greens supplements is finding the right option for you. Good greens supplements will use a variety of different greens, and generally quality greens supplements will contain some probiotics and enzymes. Some supplements contain prebiotics as well, which are bacteria that nourish the good bacteria in the intestinal system; acting as fertilizer.
In general, it’s best to avoid supplements that say that they have a “proprietary blend” of ingredients, because this allows companies to list high quality ingredients without actually including a substantial amount. Some greens supplements also contain protein, so if you are looking for a more complete supplement, you would be looking for a greens supplement with additional protein.
There are three indicators that help determine the quality of a greens supplement:
Amount of greens per serving – A good greens supplement has a lot of greens. If the grams of greens per serving is more than half of the total grams of nutrition in a serving, it is a good greens supplement. These supplements should have lots of antioxidants, vitamins, phytonutrients, and fiber. Quality ingredients to look for include, but are not limited to:
- Wheat grass
- Dandelion root
- Green tea
- Alpha lipoic acid
- Lecithin – improves cognitive performance and memory, extra great addition!
- When looking at the greens section, look for variety.
Probiotics and enzymes – Top greens supplements will contain digestive enzymes and probiotics to maximize absorption of the nutrients. A quality amount of probiotics is between 4 and 5 billion CFUs. Some of the best digestive enzymes include:
Price per serving – After assessing the nutrient density of said product and checking for probiotics and enzymes, you can judge the value of the product by the price per serving. The best greens supplements can be upwards of $4 per serving, but there are other supplements that are inexpensive but still have valuable nutrients.
Now that you know more about top greens supplements and how they can benefit you, it’s time to make a purchase! Every product on this list is an effective greens supplement, so you will be happy with your choice – just pick the one that best fits your needs and budget!
Lastly, we’d like to recommend that you bookmark this page and check back at a later date. We regularly update our guides to stay current with any changes in the supplement industry. By bookmarking, you can stay up to date as well! Thanks for reading!