Are you looking for the best hemp hearts & seeds on the market this year? Then this is the right list for you. You can also get more info by jumping to our Hemp Hearts & Seeds Guide.
Top 10 Hemp Hearts & Seeds Products Compared
Heads up, there are affiliate links in this article, so if you buy something, we get a cut of the sale.
1. Manitoba Harvest Hemp Hearts
Manitoba Harvest Hemp Hearts
- Manitoba Harvest Hemp Hearts comes in natural or organic. Each serving (3 tsp. contains 10 mg of complete hemp protein.
- These are verified as non-GMO and vegan. The manufacturer recommends adding them directly to the foods you love to eat.
ⓘ If you buy something using the links below, we get a small commission.
2. Just Hemp Foods Hulled Hemp Seeds
Just Hemp Foods Hulled Hemp Seeds is a supplement formulated to offer you a complete plant-based protein packed with omega-3 fatty acids.
- Just Hemp Foods Hulled Hemp Seeds comes in plain or toasted and salted. Each serving (3 tsp. includes 10g of complete plant-based protein,
12g of omega-3/6 fatty acids and 9g of vitamins and minerals.
- Is certified as non-GMO. The manufacturer recommends adding them directly to recipes or eating them right out of the bag.
ⓘ If you buy something using the links below, we get a small commission.
3. Navitas Naturals Organic Raw Hemp Seeds
Navitas Naturals Organic Raw Hemp Seeds are formulated to give you healthy, organic and natural nutrition on the go.
- Navitas Naturals Organic Raw Hemp Seeds contain a 3:1 ratio of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids plus 5g of protein in every 1.5 tsp. serving.
- Are certified as USDA organic. The manufacturer recommends adding them directly to recipes or eating the soft shelled seeds right out of the bag.
4. TruVibe 100% Organic Raw Hemp Seeds
TruVibe 100% Organic Raw Hemp Seeds
- TruVibe 100% Organic Raw Hemp Seeds contains 10 mg of protein in every 3 tsp. serving and a balanced ratio of omega-3/6 fatty acids.
- Certified as raw organic and non-GMO. The manufacturer recommends adding them directly to recipes or eating them right out of the bag.
5. Nutiva Organic Shelled Hemp Seed
Nutiva Organic Shelled Hemp Seed is a supplement designed to be used to take in the ideal balance of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids plus complete plant-based protein.
- Nutiva Organic Shelled Hemp Seed contains 100 percent raw shelled hemp seeds.
- Are certified as USDA organic and non-GMO. The manufacturer recommends using them in any recipe that calls for pine nuts (the flavor is similar) or just enjoying them as a snack.
6. Bob’s Red Mill Hulled Hemp Seed
Bob’s Red Mill Hulled Hemp Seed is a supplement designed to provide optimal plant-based protein and essential vitamins, minerals and fatty acids to your daily diet.
- Bob’s Red Mill Hulled Hemp Seed contains 10 g of protein in every 3 TBSP. serving, plus a complete balance of omega-3 and 6 fatty acids.
- Is certified as gluten-free. The manufacturer recommends adding them directly to recipes (there are plenty of recipes on the website).
7. Esutras Organics Raw Hemp Seed Hearts
Esutras Organics Raw Hemp Seed Hearts is designed to provide you with delicious nutrition every day.
- Esutras Organics Raw Hemp Seed Hearts contains 10 g of protein in each 3 TBSP. serving.
- Are certified organic. The manufacturer recommends using 4 to 5 TBSP. daily.
8. Super Hemp Raw Shelled Organic Hemp Seeds
Super Hemp Raw Shelled Organic Hemp Seeds is a supplement that offers you a delicious way to boost the nutrient content of any meal.
- Super Hemp Raw Shelled Organic Hemp Seeds contains 10 g of protein plus all 20 essential fatty acids in every 1 ounce serving.
- Is certified as organic, gluten-free, non-GMO, vegan and raw. The manufacturer recommends eating them raw or adding them to recipes.
9. Swanson Organic Certified Organic Hemp Seed
Swanson Organic Certified Organic Hemp Seed is a supplement that provides affordable, complete, organic and tasty nutrition.
- Swanson Organic Certified Organic Hemp Seed contains 10 g of protein in every 3 TBSP. serving.
- Is certified as kosher, non-GMO, vegan and organic. The manufacturer recommends adding 3 heaping TBSP. to any dish.
10. Handy Pantry Organic Raw Shelled Hemp Seeds
Handy Pantry Organic Raw Shelled Hemp Seeds are designed to provide complete organic plant-based nutrition.
- Handy Pantry Organic Raw Shelled Hemp Seeds contains 11 g of protein in every 3 TBSP. serving.
- Certified as organic, raw and non-GMO.
Hemp is now considered to be a “super food” by many health experts. While hemp technically hails from the same plant species (Cannabis Sativa) that produces its more famous cousin, cannabis, what is not known is that there are many individual plants within that plant species.
Cannabis contains high amounts of tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), a resinous sap, in its glands. Hemp, however, contains only trace amounts of THC (on average, 0.1-0.3 percent in total).
For this reason, cannabis continues to be heavily regulated, while hemp has mostly been produced as textiles, industrial and personal care oils, medical ointments and less glamorous others.
Today, more is becoming known about hemp’s health properties. The hemp plant produces oil, seeds and fibers. Hemp seeds in particular have been tested and shown to help lower cholesterol, boost immune system, help inflammation, and more.
Things to Look for in a Good Hemp Hearts & Seeds Supplement
Hemp seeds include the hulls, while hemp hearts consist of just the contents of those hulls. This means that hemp hearts are often called “hulled hemp seeds” or “shelled hemp seeds,” while unshelled hemp seeds will simply be called “hemp seeds.”
You can take in the hemp plant in either format and receive beneficial nutritive effects. However, the whole (unshelled) hemp seeds also contain the insoluble dietary fiber and trace minerals that can aid in improved digestion and intestinal health. If you are already getting sufficient fiber from other sources, you may want to use just the hearts. Otherwise, consider giving both hemp hearts and seeds a try.
When shopping for a hemp hearts and seeds supplement, be aware that the essential omega-3 fatty acids are perishable. Look for clear packaging and a packaged date, a “sell by” date and whole, healthy looking contents.
Be sure to store any opened packages in a cool, dry, air-sealed container for the longest shelf life. You can put it in the refrigerator or freezer for an even longer useful life.
How to Take Hemp Hearts & Seeds
Hemp hearts and seeds contains fiber, minerals, vitamins, anti-oxidants, Gamma-linolenic acid (GLA), omega-3 fatty acids and plant sterols/alcohols. But in order to receive the full benefits you must be sure you are consuming the freshest supplement (see previous section here for shopping and storage suggestions).
Happily, hemp hearts and seeds are also quite tasty and packed with protein. Many people say their flavor is kind of “nutty.” You can add them to salads and as a garnish for side and main dishes. Adding them to cereals (cold and hot) is another great way to take them in.
NOTE: Because hemp hearts and seeds do contain trace amounts of THC, if you are trying to conceive, are pregnant now or are breast feeding, please talk with your doctor before adding hemp to your daily health and wellness regimen.